2018-03-11

Debian

debian
More than 3 months ago, I posted about my Fedora installation in my desktop computer, and it's smooth sailing since then.  It replaced my erstwhile perfectly running Ubuntu box for 12 years already, just out of curiosity.  OK, admittedly I tried Fedora because I read somewhere that Linus Torvalds, the creator of Linux is using the OS personally.  He also mentioned that he doesn't like Debian because it was difficult to install with its many options, or something to that effect.  Well, it was this last statement that got me thinking into going back to my very first open-source OS... what else... Debian GNU/Linux (now just called Debian)!  That was Debian 3.0 (Woody), way back in 2002.

Four years later (2006), I wrote something on how I got and installed Ubuntu 6.06 on my desktop.  It was so easy because they provided free live CDs!  It was no surprise that Ubuntu is based on Debian, and the former just made it easier to use the latter.

Debian 9 screenshot
Debian 9 overview screenshot
It's good to always return to our roots.  So, I'm back (for good) in debian... it's now Debian 9 (Stretch) using kernel 4.9.0-4-amd64.  The screenshot looks familiar because it also uses GNOME (3.22.2) desktop environment by default.  The user experience is great!

When I got this computer several years ago, it had Windows already installed so I had to install Linux in another partition.  Using the same hardware, linux loads several times faster, and appears more secure and stable.  I don't know if it's the usual, but I don't have any antivirus program running, and nothing seems to matter.  With its more than 21,000 source packages [51k in 2018], the available Debian software can meet almost any need that one could have, whether at home or in the enterprise.  Debian is and will remain composed entirely and exclusively of free software.  All software development within the Debian project, itself, will be free [taken from The Debian Administrator's Handbook].

"Live as free men, yet without using your freedom as a pretext for evil; but live as servants of God." (1 Peter 2.16 RSV)

No comments: