2006-11-15

Decriminalizing Libel

In a free world or democracy, it's been mentioned that the Media is the fourth estate. We need a free media in order to know the truth and also to guard our rights as people. We need courageous reporters and journalists to seek for this truth. But these people are not angels or other superior beings; they often make mistakes, and worse if these mistakes were deliberate. They can report on things that are not true at all! They can destroy the reputation of people, which can never be put back after a later apology. So what do people resort to? Only by filing criminal charges against the said writer or journalist. I don't agree with their arguments that such filing of charges are persecutorial or represent some kind of harrassment! This I think is just and reasonable.

I'm very much disappointed by the move of some sectors in trying to decriminalize libel. They should think again. If libel is not a crime, then these rouge writers will have all the fun, without the responsibility. Journalists (not all) are clamoring for this to happen; what are they up to? If the "victims" are not given an opportunity in court to seek justice, then I'm afraid that they will put things into their hands (a number of journalists and columnists were already murdered perhaps because they stepped on some powerful people's feet). I'm afraid that there will be more of these incidents! No... libel should remain a crime. It's actually a crime against justice and charity.


Use Open-source Software (11/11/06)

While trying to find the weather report on INQ7.net, I happen to click its Technology (Infotech) section, and Mr. Erwin Oliva's article Congress sets public discussion on open source legislation (last updated 10:51pm 11/10/2006) emerged. I perfectly agree that the use of free and open source software (FOSS) should be legislated for the good of the country for several reasons—the most tangible is the savings that will surely ensue.

This open-source movement was started in the 1980s, and was boosted in the 1990s with the introduction of the Linux kernel by Linus Torvalds in Finland, based on the UNIX platform. This movement began tentatively through the collaboration of several unnamed people, and it's now blossoming everywhere. Initially, only techies used it, but now even the uninitiated can use it. (There are several open-source platforms out there, but the most popular is Linux.)

Presently, several Linux platforms are available for use (e.g., try Ubuntu if you really want to get your hands dirty). Pinoy computer experts may someday even develop our very own operating system, especially with our hundreds of languages. Being tied to proprietary software, especially Microsoft is so frustrating. You can't do anything without having to buy their expensive products. So what do people resort to? They purchase pirated ones (MS is becoming more choking by preventing use of their software by such means). Note: I'm not promoting the use of pirated software; I'm just showing the way towards open software.

Not only do we become liberated from such monopolistic companies (freeing our pockets), but actually use genuine open software without restrictions, which are more flexible and uplifting to the mind. Ordinary people can learn to make their own software because many development features are incorporated with the package. If you try Ubuntu (e.g.) as I did, not only will you have the operating system, but also have built-in software including the now famous OpenOffice.org software (free counterpart of MS Office). Why use Windows when you can have the same functionality sans expense?

Kudos to Congressman Teodoro Casiño of Bayan Muna party who authored the bill; I often don't agree with his ideology, but this time I very much agree with him. I hope he'll work very hard to really pass this bill (House Bill number 5769).


Ubuntu Linux (10/28/06)

My very first encounter with computers was with the Apple II and the only way to use it was to know BASIC (PCs were called microcomputers then). That was way back in 1982. Later Microsoft was used specifically with DOS. I don't recall the exact dates but later I used MS Windows. All of these were machines used in the institutions I studied and worked in. The very first computer in the house was bought by my brother and it had Win95 and later Win98 installed. We occasionally installed some other versions (Me and 2000) but it always gravitated to Win98. Only recently was WinXP used.

In late 2002, I decided to try Debian GNU/Linux (kernel 2.2.20) mainly because Windows was very expensive, and also because Linux was nice and free. You only pay for the plastic (CD) and delivery. At that time, I had a hard time and I didn't even recommend it to others. You have to read a lot of documentation, but the more important side-effect was that I appreciated the inner workings of a computer. It also demanded that I use text mode more often (console) than GUIs. After a year or so, I backslid to using Windows again although my PC was dual-boot (can be booted with Windows or Linux). With some emails I received from a classmate of mine (UPCM '91), I decided to again dabble in Linux.

Using Google, I searched: "best linux distribution". The results were unequivocal. Ubuntu always popped up. So I went to its website and ordered Live CDs, and I was surprised that they were given for free, including the stamps! I then installed Ubuntu 6.06 (dual boot with WinXP), nicknamed Dapper Drake. A screenshot of its desktop is included here. It worked perfectly well: everything you can do with Windows, you can do in Ubuntu Linux. And everything is so easy. The picture below was taken while actually upgrading to the newer 6.10 version (called Edgy Elf). Everything was done while on-line, no need to buy a new CD!



After fetching all the needed files for the upgrade overnight (my broadband WiFi is very unreliable and erratic), a new version suddenly popped up (see screenshot below). It's now brighter and the sounds are much better. Everything was very nice. By the way, the desktop was GNOME, which some say looks like a Mac (I don't know if this is true because I never owned a Mac).



I never liked orange before but this kind of theme looks nice now. And maybe after 6 months, a new version will be available and I'll do the same routine as this one. Try Ubuntu; if you have only 1 PC, do a dual boot (disc has to be partitioned or sliced if only 1 HD is present). But I have to warn you that you have to read a lot. More on this later.

No comments: